Info for Doctors
Info for GPs
We value your referrals, thank you. I am unfortunately not in a position to issue reports on every patient seen. If you need a report back please mention this in the referral letter and provide an email address where you can be reached. Sylma is on 0117844855 or firstname.lastname@example.org. I am more than happy to be phoned by referring GP’s if you need to discuss a case. Please ask your receptionist to phone Sylma to arrange. If you are referring a dear friend or family member, and would like to assist during surgery, please mention this in the referral note.
Info for Doctors
Info for referring ENT’s, other specialists
I appreciate the time and effort taken to visit my website. We welcome any referrals from colleagues and will endeavor to work together for the benefit of patients. In your referral letter please include all information on previous nasal surgery you have. You are welcome to assist, if you wish to, please state so in your referral letter.
Info for Doctors
Info for Registrars in ENT or Plastic Surgery
You are welcome to contact Sylma on email@example.com to arrange a visit to theatre in private practice. This would normally be on a Wednesday or Friday morning. There is also a Monday afternoon list. Registrars from SMU may assist during surgery. Dr Carl van Wyk is passionate about training the next generation of rhinoplasty and sinus surgeons, and if you need advice on fellowships and further study abroad, please contact us. Medical students are not accommodated due to the specialist nature of the work.
About this practice
We aim to offer excellent quality specialist level care in a caring and safe manner.
During the past few years we have had the honour to help patients from across the world. Being based in Sandton, which in itself is a hub for international travellers, does help. But increasingly we see patient travelling to us for treatment as South Africa offers world class medical facilities at very reasonable prices. Patients came, in no particular order, from:
Dr. van Wyk has also been travelling to courses, observerships, fellowships, congresses and overseas experience:
- Pretoria, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Bloemfontein
- United Kingdom, including London, Guildford, Brighton, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Cardiff, Leicester, Germany
- United States of America including Dallas, Washington, Chicago
- Hong Kong
- And others
Dr. van Wyk has also sat and passed several examinations relating to the study of Medicine in different places:
- Washington D.C.
Qualifications & Positions
- MBChB(Pretoria), MRCS(RCSEdinburgh), DOHNS(RCSEngland), FRCSEd(ORL-HNS)(Edinburgh)
- General Secretary of the Society of Rhinoplasty Surgeons of South Africa.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (RCSEd(ORL-HNS))
- Registered as Specialist ENT Surgeon by the HPCSA and GMC (UK)
- Reconstructive Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship (Guy’s and St Thomas’ and RSC Hospitals, UK)
- Fellow of the European Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery
- Diplomate of the International Board for Certification in Facial and Reconstructive Surgery (Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon)
- Year long fellowship in Europe completed.
- Facial Plastic Surgery Board Exam in Washington D.C. passed as international candidate.
- One Hundred Case reports submitted and audited.
- Have attended international courses in Dallas, Chicago, Boston, Ismir, Glasgow, Munich, Lisbon, Hong Kong, London.
Teaching and Lectures
- Supervisor for M. Med Thesis on Surgical Nasal Anatomy.
- Joint Theatre lists with Plastic Surgery Registrars to teach Rhinoplasty at Dr. George Mukhari Hospital
- Appointed as Examiner for the College of Medicine of South Africa.
- Invited lecturer on Rhinoplasty and Sinus Surgery Courses and Conferences (Johannesburg, Hong Kong, London)
- Operated ‘On stage’ (while being filmed for training course in Bloemfontein)
- Regular teaching sessions with registrars from ENT at Dr. George Mukhari Hospital
- Speaker at the Aesthetic Medicine Congress of South Africa 2017.
- Published author for scientific research articles on Rhinoplasty in international journals (Facial Plastic Surgery Journal and Aesthetic Surgery Journal)
- Author for chapter in reference textbook on Rhinoplasty (Sclafani: Rhinoplasty, The Expert’s Reference, 2015)
Ideal patients for nasal surgery
- You are well researched and know what you want.
- You had a good look at the info on this website.
- You have a combination of functional nasal problems and some aesthetic frustration
- You have realistic expectations regarding surgery and know perfection is not realistic.
- You are emotionally whole despite your nasal frustration.
- Your know your personality makes up for any deformity.
- You are doing this for yourself.
- You have a good friend or family member for support during the first 2 weeks after surgery
- Your work/business/family will allow you time off to recover for 10 to 14 days after surgery
- You trust Dr. van Wyk after the first consult.
Please click on a treatment type for further information
ADULT patient enquiry
CHILD (Paediatric) enquiry
Sleep Apnoea enquiry
Botulinum / Fillers /Threads
Aesthetic treatments enquiry